Chocolate Easter Nests – A healthier version

Health(ier) Chocolate Easter Nests

Google doesn’t really tell me when making chocolate nests became an Easter tradition.

IMG_1042-0

Easter is ultimately a celebration of the death and resurrection of Jesus. Eggs are symbolic of this new life. In more recent times chocolate has firmly encroached on all the action, and at some point chocolate Easter nests have also become synonymous with this season.

In my household the success of the chocolate nest is fairly easy to explain. Firstly and most importantly I like chocolate. Secondly I do sometimes enjoy the kind of baking that doesn’t really involve ‘baking’. Particularly when Sunflower is involved!

Following the relative success (as gauged by Sunflowers consumption) of my adapted healthier version of cake pops last week, I decided to attempt a healthier makeover of the traditional chocolate nest.

Ingredients

• 2 large shredded wheat
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • I tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • Grapes to decorate

Method

• Melt peanut butter, honey and cocoa powder over a gentle heat
  • Crumble shredded wheat into the melted mixture
  • Spoon into paper cases and press into nest shapes
  • Top with halved grapes

So there you have it. Easy peasy no bake recipe. I’m not claiming that this is the ultimate healthy recipe. In fact if you would like a true healthy Easter nest have a look at this carrot and cucumber version.

However there is more protein and fibre in peanut butter compared to traditional butter and although it is high in fat, most of this is monounsaturated.

The simple substitution of grapes instead of eggs also drastically reduces the calorie and fat content of these little nests, although arguable removes them one step further from Easter!

Nutrition in 3 mini eggs

• Calories 45
  • fat 1.89g

Nutrition in 3 grapes

• Calories 10
  • Fat <0.1g

Results

These chocolate Easter nests actually taste very rich. The unsweetened coca powder combined with the taste of nuts results in a slightly more sophisticated flavour combination than traditional Easter nests. The addition of the grapes  helps to cut through this richness.

Sunflower as my taste tester consumed only half a nest, this compares to my need to restrain her from eating her fourth cake pop last week. Mr R and I have really enjoyed the more adult version!

30 second summary: A slightly more nutrient filled version of the traditional chocolate Easter nest. Child-friendly baking but more adult flavours.

Do let me know your thoughts or comments? Have any of you made or consumed an alternative version to the tradition chocolate Easter nest?

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

17 thoughts on “Chocolate Easter Nests – A healthier version

• tenminutesspare March 21, 2015 / 4:04 pm

😄 grapes are one of sunflower’s favourites… That’s probably the only reason she tolerated bring deprived of mini eggs! X

• tenminutesspare March 21, 2015 / 7:30 pm

😄 I’m actually considering sharing a home made ice cream recipe next week but it’s so incredibly decedent I’ll have to write healthy meals for months after to balance it out!

1. babyfoote March 21, 2015 / 11:57 pm

These sound yummy, but I’m a massive fan of shredded wheat and grapes already. I have perfected a warm breakfast, shredded wheat with skimmed milk – microwave for exactly two minutes (chop grapes during this time), stir, chuck grapes in, one minute more, enjoy!
    So I don’t know if I want to use my lovely shredded wheat for this, particularly as it’s the one cereal that’s ‘mine’!! Do I want my toddler knowing how tasty it is?!

2. tenminutesspare March 22, 2015 / 10:35 am

Ooh that sounds delicious! My two already love the little bite sized shredded wheat with fruit in the middle. Will definitely have to try your version with grapes, I’m sure they’ll love it x

3. Katy (What Katy Said) March 23, 2015 / 10:24 am

I love that you decorated with grapes!! I love no bake recipes too x

• tenminutesspare March 23, 2015 / 1:07 pm

Yes no bake cooking is fab with little ones… Instant results are great! X

• tenminutesspare March 24, 2015 / 8:56 pm

Thanks they were nice. Sunflower loves grapes as much as chocolate which definitely helped persuade her of the switch! X

4. laurababykicks March 24, 2015 / 1:11 pm

Oh what a fab recipe, now I must see if I can get hold of shredded wheat out here!x

• tenminutesspare March 24, 2015 / 8:53 pm

Oh yes it must be different living in Dubai. I’m sure there must be lots of things harder to find there. Xx

5. katiejaner March 24, 2015 / 9:13 pm

Great idea to have a healthier version – thanks for sharing x

• tenminutesspare March 24, 2015 / 9:17 pm

Thanks! It’s still cake but makes me feel a bit better about scoffing lots of it! X

6. Honest Mum March 25, 2015 / 7:28 pm

Love this healthy version for Easter, just gorgeous. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuedays

7. tenminutesspare March 25, 2015 / 7:36 pm

Thank you! They were delicious. I always find lots of inspiration on #tastytuesday so it’s fantastic to be able to link up. X