Week One Juneathon: Exercise everyday…almost

This month I’ve been attempting to exercise daily as part of the Juneathon challenge.

Strictly speaking the challenge is to exercise everyday and then blog about it. It comes as no great surprise to me that I am better at doing the exercise than recording it contemporaneously.

Since I’ve enjoyed reading the accounts of other participants here is my belated contribution; a summary of what I’ve been up to this week:

Juneathan Week 1 Summary

Day 1: We’re on holiday in France. It is a stunning and peaceful area to run. I’m not sure of the distance but I ran for around an hour.

I could easily have kept going for longer as it was just a beautiful evening. However I could just imagine my poor husband fretting about me getting lost in rural France so returned within the agreed time.

Day 2: Pilates workout using DVD

Day 3: My husband suggests I run to a nearby gorge, around 8k. The scenery is (no pun intended) gorgeous. What he did not tell me was that the entire journey there is downhill. And you can guess what that meant for the run back…

Day 4:  Quick arm workout at home. I will get round to recording the routine here soon. This was our last day in France.

Day 5: Very long story involving packing up our holiday house, a 6 hour car journey, an unexpected 5.30pm nap by my little boy, a small family hotel room and a very awake boy until after 10am who foiled my planned evening exercise. I did, however, do some pelvic floor exercises. I’m not entirely sure this is in keeping with the spirit of the challenge but as muscle strengthening exercises go, they are pretty useful.

Day 6: Another stop over on the journey home at a hotel with a gym. I hardly ever go to the gym these days so  it was a nice change for a workout.

Day 7: My favourite. Back home again and the most beautiful run along my favourite coast line.

What I have learnt from this week

• Having a definite goal, improves my motivation. I really enjoyed my exercise when away on holiday, but without commitment to this challenge I doubt I would have been as dedicated
  • Even a quick ten minute workout, especially if its focussed on strengthening a particular set of muscles can be really helpful.
  • When exercising this frequently variety is important.

30 second summary: An enjoyable, although strictly speaking not entirely successful, first week of Juneathon

As Always I enjoy reading any comments. Do let me know if you have been taking part in the challenge too?
Mums' Days

13 thoughts on “Week One Juneathon: Exercise everyday…almost

1. DrJuliet June 8, 2015 / 8:43 pm

It can be so hard on holiday can’t it? Part of you wants to be productive and use the time to exercise which you know you’ll enjoy but part of you wants to sit with your feet up and pour a glass of wine. Sounds like you did really well. Keep it up!

• tenminutesspare June 8, 2015 / 9:00 pm

Absolutely! And actually the nice thing about this challenge is that i can mix up what I’m doing so I don’t have to spend hours every evening on exercise… Which certainly left some appropriate holiday time for relaxing and a little glass of wine!

2. Carla June 8, 2015 / 9:31 pm

Great that you’ve managed to fit so much in whilst on your holidays!!

I was back to work last week after a lovely half term holiday and only just getting back into fitness after a series of injuries so nothing too strenuous, but my Juneathon so far…..

Day 1: Horrendous wind and rain today so took it as an opportunity to have a rest day from anything too strenuous and concentrated on stretching, rollering and some upper body weights.

Day 2: Just getting over a hip injury so a nice easy run after work to meet my boys who were training at the running club, I ran for about 45 mins.

Day 3: My husband is working until late tonight so no chance for me training after work, instead I set an early alarm and whizz out on my bike, a bit windy but a nice 40 minute work out to start the day!

Day 4: My night to train tonight but since I’m injured I took an easy jog to catch up with my usual training group, and then back home. A nice relaxing 45 minutes.

Day 5: Its Crunchie day at work so I usually like to do something active so that I can enjoy my weekly treat! Up early again for a half hour run in the sun – it’s a gorgeous morning so a pleasure to be out so early.

Day 6: I’ve had a busy few days so when I heard my usual Yoga group were having a morning Yoga session on the beach I jumped at the chance – a rather blustery morning so our balance was put to the test, but well worth it.

Day 7: A beautiful day and feeling good from my Yoga yesterday so a nice mid-afternoon run, my eldest joined me on his bike so good quality time together. I could have ran and ran today it was so nice but not wanting to overdo it after injury so was sensible and stuck to an hour.

Day 8: Just writing this and realised I’ve not done anything today so off to do some weights before bed!!!

• tenminutesspare June 8, 2015 / 9:38 pm

Carla that sounds like a great week! I have to admit bad weather is always very off putting for me. Impressed you managed to do so much as I heard the wind was really bad last week. I’ve literally just finished my Pilates workout tonight too! Hope you get over your injuries soon, I remember how frustrating it was when I had a 3 month pelvic floor related running ban, and I was completely unfit after pregnancy. It must be even worse having to take it easy after being very fit. I also LOVE the idea of crunchie day at work! Yum!

3. mummyofboygirltwins June 10, 2015 / 7:06 am

You’re SO right. Having a goal, something to aim for improves my motivation and efforts too. As you know I have just started up again and it is affecting my mood – making me much happier. I can see the results already. Well done you and keep it up! Jess xx

• Carla June 10, 2015 / 6:51 pm

I completely agree with your comment on exercising affecting mood – after a hard day with work and kids just spending a few minutes to yourself exercising makes a huge difference!

• tenminutesspare June 12, 2015 / 8:59 pm

Yes it totally does! I feel so lucky to be off on maternity leave at the moment, but parenting is pretty intense work. (Huge respect to both of you with twins!) A bit of time off is so important and doing something active (even just for ten minutes!) always makes me feel better

• tenminutesspare June 12, 2015 / 8:56 pm

Thank you! I hope you can continue to find that time for yourself to go out for a run, it makes me happy too!

4. nessjibberjabberuk June 12, 2015 / 12:09 pm

I walk the children to school/nursery each day and then power walk back. There’s several routes to chose from to keep it interesting. The light evenings have also meant we’ve been able to go out on some trails as well.

• tenminutesspare June 16, 2015 / 9:16 pm

That sounds like a great way to fit being active into your life everyday. I think that’s the key to it really finding something you enjoy and that fits with your lifestyle!

5. hannah mum's days June 17, 2015 / 7:44 pm

What a great idea! And well done you for exercising on holiday – I just about manage to lift a glass to my mouth and maybe have a swim in the sea (probably not the latter though!). The photos are stunning! Hope you’re feeling nice and relaxed now 🙂 xx
    Thanks for linking up to #TheList xx

• tenminutesspare June 23, 2015 / 7:47 pm

We had a lovely time thanks! I was totally relaxed and even the super long car journey home went better than expected. I realise it might sound a bit smug but I really loved being able to run when we were away. The gorgeous scenery definitely helped! X