This Mum Can – Get Fit After Difficult Pregnancies

I’m having such a great time writing this new blog feature.

It’s wonderful to see pictures and collect stories from parents who, despite various challenges, are making fitness part of their lives. I do hope it also might inspire anyone else reading in the same way as it helps to motivate me.

This week I’m celebrating lovely and very active Mum, Carla. She has three boys and had two difficult pregnancies.

This is a picture of her pregnant with her twins.

She has kindly let me share her photos and a few words of encouragement for all parents about the fact she managed to regain fitness despite the challenges of her pregnancies.

These current pictures of her are wonderful. Not only does she find time to exercise regularly despite her full time job and three boys, but she also often runs with the kids and her husband. Exercise and training are fun family activity for them all.

I love this photo of them all at the local athletics track. Not only are Carla and her husband enjoying training and running for themselves, they are also being great examples for their children.

Below is another version of the same photo, but with what I think is another really important message of encouragement.

As Carla explained she had a tough time through her pregnancies but despite the challenges has regained her fitness.

If she can do it after her twin pregnancy I should certainly keep going with my efforts at the running club. If you’re reading and wondering if its possible for you too, well of course it is! You CAN get back to fitness.

Thank you Carla so much for letting me share these photos and your story.

11 thoughts on “This Mum Can – Get Fit After Difficult Pregnancies

1. plutoniumsox June 25, 2015 / 9:26 pm

Oh my word, she looks amazing! That is definitely inspirational. I really want to do an ironman in a few years when I have a bit more time on my hands. At the moment I’m just keeping on going with a little bit of running so I don’t lose fitness completely.x

• tenminutesspare June 27, 2015 / 9:44 pm

Yes, you know she really is inspirational. Every time I think I’m finding it hard to fit it in with my two kids, I remember her and others who cope with more and twins too. An ironman sounds like an incredible challenge! A marathon is my personal ultimate goal…maybe in the spring (I’m not a very strong swimmer or cyclist!)

2. Helen June 26, 2015 / 12:59 am

Hi Rachel

Yes inspiring! However I think for people who have always had exercise in their life they are used to fitting it in. I wonder how many similar cases there are of people who are new to exercise. I think those are the people who need targeting the people who come late to the realisation of how important it is. People like Carla can be such an inspiration to them!

• tenminutesspare June 27, 2015 / 9:53 pm

Yes absolutely you’ve made a really important point, it does become harder to juggle it all with kids, but if you’ve always been used to fitting in exercise of course it is easier than starting from scratch. Having said that I have come across a few people who incredibly have only really started becoming active as parents. My friend Bryony is one who only started running after her second child. I think there is maybe something about undergoing a huge life change (such as having children) that makes, some people at least, reassess everything and as you say realise what a difference being active can make. I’ll have to see if i can find a few more to feature in future weeks!

3. DrJuliet June 26, 2015 / 6:44 am

Fabulous! This is the kind of inspiration we need. Well done Carla! What a great role model to your children. Important to remember it doesn’t happen without time and consistency and a lot of sweat but it should be fun too!

• tenminutesspare June 27, 2015 / 9:55 pm

Thanks! She does certainly put in the effort and does seem to have so much fun with her family. Definitely part of my personal inspiration for being brave enough to get back to the running club too.

4. themaleys June 26, 2015 / 9:37 pm

Thanks everyone – its certainly not been easy, having twins has left me with various hip and back problems which I have to be mindful of, but I find doing the exercise helps in so many ways, physical and mental and the fact that the boys love it too is great. Not only is it good to run on my own so I can get some ‘space’ but its great now the boys can come along on their bikes!!

• tenminutesspare June 27, 2015 / 9:57 pm

It would have been so easy I’m sure to use those problems as a reason not to keep active, but wonderful that it has been so helpful. I totally agree that the benefits are more than just the physical stuff too, I’m a much happier person for having a bit of time to myself and a bit of exercise. I’m really looking forwards to my two being old enough to join in on their bikes too!

5. babyfoote June 29, 2015 / 5:19 am

Carla, you look amazing! I’d love to know when you started training (again?) after your pregnancies and how you incorporated it in your routine?

• themaleys June 29, 2015 / 6:32 pm

Thanks. After my first child I started after about 8 weeks, I did a 2-3 mile loop about 3 times a week and probably started going back to the running club at about 6 months. After my twins I started much slower at about 10 weeks (partially due to tiredness, partially pelvic floor related!!),, although with my twins I ran a couple of times a week it wasn’t until they were about 3 that I went back to the running club and started training properly. It was a bit of a juggling act – going for runs alternate nights, waiting until the boys were all in bed or when I was part time fitting a quick run in between work and collecting the boys from nursery, nowadays it is much easier – my husband and myself have our set nights to train and we also take turns to do early morning runs or bike rides before the boys . Weekends are much more family orientated – Saturdays we either go to the track or a field and train whilst the boys play football or with their trains and Sundays they quite often come on their bikes with us. I think when your children are very young it is hard making that step to go out and do something but even just a ten minute walk is worthwhile and it makes it easier when you do have more time and can progressively increase your activities!