Challenges, Cancer and Charity

Just over 18 months ago my sister-in-law died from ovarian cancer.

A fairly blunt sentence with which to start tonight’s blog, but the sadness cannot really be disguised with any prettier wording. She was kind, gentle and so very young.

taller de ilustracion digital - 006-2

In two weeks time I will be taking part in the Race for Life, raising money for Cancer Research UK. I don’t need to write more on this difficult subject to explain why this cause is close to my heart.

I am actually a little apprehensive as I have decided to run the 10k distance. Over the last few months as I have gained confidence and strength I have been regularly running (read jogging slowly) distances of around 10k.  I have never taken part in a formal race.

The reason I’m vague about the exact distance covered on my longer weekend runs; I simply take my trainers and music and then run without measurements or timings. I usually run for the peace, personal space and perhaps a small hit of endorphins.

Attempting to race a 10k distance feels altogether more daunting. 5k is short enough for me to run with the aim of achieving the best time I can, although my sub-25 personal best is still frustratingly out of reach. A half marathon is long enough, for me personally, to feel finishing regardless of the time, is satisfying.

10k is sort of in between.

Of course the Race for Life is relaxed, participants are encouraged to run, walk or dance their way around. Whilst I quite like the idea of breaking into a boogie mid-run, I have to get finish in just over an hour. Exactly an hour and 30 minutes after I start the 10k race I begin another 5k run accompanied by my lovely niece and sister-in-law.

Despite the apprehension, I’m delighted to have the chance to compete a personal challenge, and even more excited to experience a 5k circuit with my extended family. We will have fun, we will wear pink, you never know we might even have a dance.

And of course at times we might be sad.

DSC06831-BW

Most importantly the money that we raise will be used for further cancer research.

I’m sharing this post with fitness Tuesday over at the inspiring blog fitness 4 mamas)

14 thoughts on “Challenges, Cancer and Charity

1. Julia @ Rainbeaubelle June 29, 2015 / 11:42 am

Good luck with your runs! Such a good cause and a lovely thing to do in your sister in law’s memory. I have run a few 10ks and found them hard but felt amazing afterwards! X

• tenminutesspare June 29, 2015 / 12:51 pm

Thank you! That’s reassuring to hear. I actually timed running 10k for the first time properly last night. It was hard but you’re right it was amazing afterwards and I feel much more comfortable now knowing I can do it in under an hour so I don’t need to panic about missing the start of the next run! X

2. Mama June 30, 2015 / 7:21 am

Good for you. I couldn’t run around the block without collapsing into a sweaty, trembling mess. Good luck, hope you do it in the time you want x

• tenminutesspare July 8, 2015 / 6:34 am

Thank you! 9 months ago neither could I, so I’m really grateful to be able to do this race now. I am a teensy bit competitive (only with myself as I’m not that fast!) but really I need to remember the time doesn’t matter as much as the fact I can do it!

• Mama July 8, 2015 / 1:12 pm

But being fast feels good 🙂 I get it. I’m horribly competitive with myself and others too x

3. EMS July 6, 2015 / 1:33 pm

Good luck! I’m sure it will be an emotional run, so sorry to hear about your sister in law, that is just awful xx Be positive and get over that finish line xx

4. Mirka Moore (@Fitness4mamas) July 9, 2015 / 11:25 am

Thanks for sharing this post with us. I am sure it will be very emotional on the day. I lost my dad to cancer and every time I join a race or any fitness challenge I always think of him of how proud he would be of me. Good luck and thanks for linking again! #FitnessTuesday

• tenminutesspare July 10, 2015 / 5:58 pm

Ah I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad. Of course he would be amazingly proud I’m sure. Thanks for hosting!

5. morganprincecom July 10, 2015 / 12:40 pm

Good luck for the runs hun, I’m sure you’ll be emotional but you’re doing it for such a good cause. xx #FitnessTuesday

• tenminutesspare July 14, 2015 / 9:42 pm

Thanks so much! I’ve done them now and it really was emotional but also incredibly positive. I’m so glad to have taken part x

6. DrJuliet July 11, 2015 / 9:05 pm

Will be thinking of you, I know you can do it. Can’t wait to hear about it and remember it’s entirely normal to sob most of the way around a Race for Life xx

• tenminutesspare July 12, 2015 / 6:16 am

Ah thank you so much. I reckon I should get through the 10k before the emotion hits on the second time round. X