The end of Juneathon and the discovery that I have been running naked.

It would have been easy to miss my participation in Juneathon, a challenge to exercise everyday in June and record it via social media.

There has been a conspicuous absence of blog posts, but on the plus side actually quite a lot of exercise. I increased the number and type of home workouts I usually do during the month, although not their duration. Most of my exercises take only 10 minutes and I rotated mainly between arm and core workouts with a bit of Pilates.

IMG_0763

To any serious fitness enthusiasts this probably doesn’t sound like a terribly impressive month of exercise. To me, a Mum of two little ones under three, it has felt like an amount that has improved my strength, speed and stamina, being practically achievable without becoming a burden.

Did I exercise every day? Well ermm no. I think I averaged 3 short home workouts a week, not a great result for the Juneathon challenge, but again for real life purposes is probably a little more attainable.

I continued running as normal aiming for 3 times a week.

IMG_0841

I say continued as normal. Actually I fairly major change happened in the last week of Juneathon when I decided to no longer run naked.

I only discovered this phrase fairly recently. It turns out I have been running naked for most of my life.

No; of course I don’t mean I’ve accidentally managed to potter around in the nude wearing only my trainers. Naked running involves heading out for a jog without the use of any technology.

I’m obviously behind the times. Up until last week I simply put on my trainers a couple of times a week and then decided if I wanted to take any music. Often I didn’t.

IMG_1179

In my busy, noisy life running has been about a bit of peaceful time to myself. I know, I know, perhaps running doesn’t sound peaceful to you, but it really IS.

Especially around here, especially late in the evening or early in the morning.

However, as I explained in my last post in two weeks I will be running a 10k Race for Life in memory of my sister-in-law and to raise money for cancer research. To add to the pressure as soon as I finish I’ll be starting again to run the 5k circuit.

This has been the motivation required to finally take running a little more seriously and to start timing and pacing myself properly.

I worked out how to down load an app onto my phone. After 1km I received a little electronic equivalent of a cheer, announcing my time, distance and pace. AMAZING. I realise for most runner’s it is probably incomprehensible that I have never done this before, but apart from the odd park run, running has never really been about times, personal bests or races.

The little announcements from my phone continued and motivated me and I’m now reassured I will complete the race next week in time to start the next.

So overall I am glad to have taken part in Juneathon, however tenuously. I can definitely feel an improvement in more core strength, which as regular readers of my blog will know, is particularly important to me after having a serious diastasis recti

IMG_0815

Discovering how to use technology to pace my runs has given me increased confidence about my up-coming 10k run and incredibly seems to have knocked around a minute and a half off my 5k time too.

So although technically I have completely failed to exercise daily, much less blog about it, overall I’m going to take it as a month of success.

More importantly it has been fun. And really that is even more important than just focusing on fitness. Health is a balance between physical, emotional and social wellbeing so on the days I choose to relax, spend time with my friends or simply sit on the sofa I’m going to claim that was all in the name of a healthy balance.

Well that’s my excuse anyway…..

IMG_1280-0

For completeness here is as much of a record about my participation in Juneathon as I can piece together:

I have a good record of my first week  here.

day 8: Pilates workout

day 9: Turned up at my running group only to find it wasn’t on due to a popular local race. Pottered off sadly on a little run of my own.

day 10: No record

day 26 – nothing

day 27: 10k run

day 28: planks and pull-ups

day 29: 5k run

day 30: Standing abs workout

IMG_0620

I’m sharing this post with #bloggingtojogging over at the lovely blog http://www.Buddingsmiles.co.uk

13 thoughts on “The end of Juneathon and the discovery that I have been running naked.

1. DrJuliet July 15, 2015 / 6:29 am

Just shows what a quick session when you have time can do. Also how if things aren’t quite going to plan how you shouldn’t just ‘bin it’ and give up but just try again the next day. Well done J

• tenminutesspare July 15, 2015 / 8:04 pm

Thank you! Yes I did do loads of really quick workouts which barely sound like anything but I really felt the difference by the end of the month. X

2. Donna @OrdCyclingGirl July 20, 2015 / 9:46 am

My husband works shifts and with two children I can so relate to this! I often find it difficult to squeeze in getting out of the house to exercise and have been looking at options I can do in the house. It’s not the same but every little helps! You have a great attitude, I too believe it’s all about balance. Keep up the good work. X

• tenminutesspare July 20, 2015 / 6:48 pm

Thank you! Yes I much prefer getting out for a run but I do notice the difference that even a super short workout can make when I don’t have the time. Thanks so much for commenting x

3. Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) July 20, 2015 / 1:01 pm

Amazing! I’m a fitness nut but would struggle to work out everyday just because of time. This makes me feel like I have no excuse! Love the shots of where you run…just beautiful xx #bloggingtojogging

• tenminutesspare July 20, 2015 / 6:56 pm

Thank you! I really like super quick work outs because it’s so easy to fit them in amongst my busy week, but running is still my favourite! X

4. sriches July 20, 2015 / 4:00 pm

That is a lot of exercise throughout June – you can easily do just as much to increase your fitness in 10 minutes than 30 minutes – where you get to run is stunning and I can completely understand why you have been running naked! Good luck with the Race For Life 10k!! Sim #WeightLossWednesday xx

• tenminutesspare July 20, 2015 / 6:57 pm

Thanks so much! I am so very luck to live round here. It definitely helps my motivation! X

5. Hannah Budding Smiles July 21, 2015 / 8:21 am

Well done and that is a good old amount of exercise! Best of luck with your runs, I’m looking forward to seeing how you get on! Thanks for linking with #BloggingToJogging xx

• tenminutesspare July 25, 2015 / 8:29 pm

Thanks very much! I’ll link up my race for life post next week (although it doesn’t say much about my run really!) x

6. Sam Kersley July 22, 2015 / 7:33 pm

Hey I just wanted to say i really enjoyed reading this post, I’ve just started out with the whole running thing doing one of those running apps that helps you run without stopping. lol. I just started the 2nd week of it today. I have to say fair play to you I have a one year old and find the easiest time for me to workout is either early in the morning (Which almost always never happens) or in the evening when the hubby finishes work. I’ve been really lazy and trying to get back into it.

• tenminutesspare July 25, 2015 / 8:17 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed reading. Really appreciate you taking time to comment! Those running app things are great. I’ve heard lots of good things about them. I’d love to be a morning runner but evenings are definitely my favourite time. It is so hard to find motivation to get started but I’d def encourage you to keep going if you’re enjoying the running. I love the time to myself and always feel much happier and with more energy when I’m done!

• Sam Kersley July 25, 2015 / 8:29 pm

I agree it makes me feel so much better mentally gives me time to process whatever is in my head an I always feel really good about myself after already seeing a difference. If u want you can check out this post
        Has a couple pictures from 1st week and 2nd week an the difference that’s already happened. Really proud of myself. I tend to find motivation from other people and their efforts. Pinterest is good for that